Tuesday 13 May 2014

A Happy Birthday



In our house this time of year is known as ‘birthday season’ because so many of us have our birthdays in March and April – Ben and I have ours in March and Jenny and Stuart have theirs in April. We always have a party to celebrate the kids’ birthdays and normally Ben and I have a special dinner to celebrate our birthdays, but this year Ben did something extra special – he arranged a wonderful surprise party for me!

In the morning I was awakened at the crack of dawn by the kids jumping on the bed, eager to present me with my birthday presents and breakfast in bed, which was really lovely. The kids bought me two pairs of slippers, some perfume and a new hairbrush and Ben bought me a beautiful new coat which I’d had my eye on for a while. (He obviously picked up on the subtle hints that I kept dropping, such as, ‘I want THAT coat for my birthday!’) 

I spent much of the morning watching DVDs with the kids while Ben prepared lunch and then after lunch we all went out for a drive in the hills and along the coast. It was a beautiful clear, sunny day and the view across Morecambe bay from the hills was stunning. 

We were out for a couple of hours and then when we returned the surprise party was set up and waiting for me. (My sister Judy had collaborated with Ben to set the party up in my absence.) Ben and the kids held back and then as I walked into the living room dozens of friends and family leapt towards me shouting ‘Surprise!’ I nearly jumped out of my skin! But after the initial shock had subsided I had a good laugh with everyone else. 

I should have expected something like this from Ben - he’s so thoughtful and it was big birthday. I won’t tell you how old I am as I’d have to shoot you afterwards, but let’s just say the number is divisible by ten without remainder. (I knew those maths lessons that I was forced to endure as a child would come in handy one day.)

Anyway, I chatted with the guests and enjoyed the buffet for a while then my kids appeared dressed in some of their best party gear. I was so proud of them.

Keith wore a premium quality boys white 3 piece suit with a boys white cufflinks shirt with double cuff and cufflinks, a boys white tie in shiny satin fabric and handmade leather junior boys white shoes.



Crissy and Sarah wore beautiful matching special occasion girls dresses in ivory and black and girls white party shoes with flower diamantes. And Simon wore a stylish 5 piece boys grey suit set and handmade junior boys black leather shoes.





They all looked so lovely. I’m so grateful to Ben for arranging such a wonderful birthday for me. I’ll have to think of something extra special to do for his next birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment