Tuesday 13 May 2014

Happy Christmas! In May

I can’t believe Christmas has come on gone! And what a happy Christmas is was. On Christmas morning I was awakened at the crack of dawn by Sarah (our youngest) bouncing up and down on the bed, begging Ben and I to get up so we could go downstairs and start opening our presents. Soon the whole household was awake, clad in dressing gowns and making their way to the living room for the annual orgy of frenzied present opening. I love to see the kids opening their presents, it reminds me of how excited I used to be when I opened my Christmas presents as a child.

Thankfully the kids seemed to like all of their presents. That is, apart from the adult sized black socks that their uncle Jim bought each of them this year. Whenever he buys clothes for the kids he always goes for adult sizes. I once asked him why he did this and he replied that the kids would grow into them and never grow out of them! What a guy!

Anyway, Sarah was particularly taken with her new Barbie dolls and Dreamhouse. I thought she was going to explode with excitement when she opened the wrapping and saw what was inside. She also loved a woodland fairy dressing up set that her aunt Judy gave her and she insisted on wearing it while she played with her Dreamhouse. She looked so adorable!

Simon (our youngest boy) is into Star Wars in a big way and leading up to Christmas kept dropping hints about wanting some Star Wars Lego for Christmas. So it was no surprise that he was overjoyed with the Star Wars Lego kits that we got for him. He was especially taken with the Star Wars Millenium Falcon kit, which he feverishly started to construct as soon as he opened the wrapping. He also likes anything to do with pirates and was very happy to receive a boys pirate outfit with hat and sword from his aunt Judy.

Crissy (our eldest girl) asked for mainly clothes this Christmas and was delighted with the new additions to her wardrobe she was given. She was especially happy with a beautiful mayoral girls sales brown skirt and ivory t-shit outfit that we bought her, commenting on how cute the bunnies were on the front. I love that t-shirt too! If they made it in my size I’d get one for myself. She also took a liking to Sarah’s new Dreamhouse and spent much of the morning playing with it with Sarah.

Keith (our eldest) wanted mainly X-Box 360 games for Christmas and loved the titles we bought for him, particularly one with zombies. I don’t know much about video games so I left buying them to Ben and he clearly did a good job. Keith then spent the morning slaying zombies with his dad.

After a light lunch (saving ourselves for Christmas dinner) we all dressed up in our Christmas outfits. As I said in my previous blog, the family likes to dress up at Christmas and this year we decided to have a ‘red’ themed Christmas. Ben and I dressed in our Mr and Mrs Santa outfits. Sarah dressed in a lovely little red leotard, a frothy red tutu skirt, some red pom pom tights and some red Mary Jane shoes with patent leather double straps. Simon sported a Spiderman costume. Crissy wore a gorgeous red smocked dress by Sarah Louise, some red tights and some girls red and black patent shoes with a lovely bow design on the front. And Keith wore a boys red shirt and tie set, some boys red trousers and some boys red leather shoes. He also wore an Elvis wig, sideburns and sunglasses.

Crissy and Sarah stayed upstairs playing with their presents, Simon continued to construct his Millenium Falcon in the living room, Ben and Keith went back to the X-Box and I started work on the Christmas dinner. I love to cook, especially Christmas dinner. It’s a lot of work, but very satisfying and the meal was very well received when we finally sat down to eat it. And it was great seeing everyone dressed up and having a good time. (If you’ve never had Christmas dinner with Santa, Elvis, Spiderman and a couple of little angels I thoroughly recommend it!)

In the evening the family gathered in the living room, watched Elf on DVD (as we do every Christmas) and then played some Wii games. It’s funny but no matter how many Wii games we get, we always end up playing the Super Mario Cart game. I guess it’s become the family favourite. Simon dominated the games (as usual) and Sarah and I kept coming last (as usual). Eventually Sarah got bored of losing and went back to playing with her toys and Keith got bored of winning and went back to slaying zombies. The rest of us continued playing for a while and then eventually settled down in front of the telly. Soon the kids were in bed and Christmas was over. I can’t believe how quickly it seems to come and go. Anyway, it was a happy Christmas that I’m sure I’ll always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment